Can my ex have me removed from their council house?

Amicable Forum

Council housing

My wife wants a separation, she has the council property in her name and i am a named family member. Can she legally remove me from the house

Andy Curtis at 11.11.2020 14:20:21

Views: 2458


Hi Andy

Thanks for your message. You should check the terms of the tenancy agreement; that should set out whether or not your wife could remove you as a named family member. However, the Family Law Act 1996 gives protection for spouses who personally do not have right to occupy their family home but where their spouse does. It grants you home rights; the right to not be evicted or excluded from the matrimonial home. If your wife tries to exclude you from the home, you could apply to the court for an occupation order. An occupation order can order your wife not to exclude you from the home or, if you have already been excluded, the right to re-enter and occupy the property. Do note that your wife could surrender the tenancy completely or give the council notice to quit. If you are worried that she may do that you could apply to the court for an injunction to prevent her doing so. It is also possible to apply to the court for the transfer of tenancy.

I hope this helps, please feel free to book a call if not.

Anna at 12.11.2020 12:46:49

If the wife files for divorce do you then lose the home rights and can then be evicted ?

E J at 16.03.2022 16:28:57

Reply to question

If you are happy for amicable to contact you in the future for marketing purposes, as well as for help and advice on divorce and separation then please tick the boxes below to tell us all the ways you would prefer to hear from us. You can read about how amicable may use your data here, and withdraw your consent at any time.