amicable’s post-divorce checklist makes the post-divorce to do list a little easier by breaking down what you need to do on a life admin basis.
1. Try and do all your admin in one go…put a day aside to get all your change notifications done at once. Changes that drag out can be stressful and cause problems should you need to prove your identity.
2. Prioritize photo ID in your new name as soon as possible. Some companies need to see updated photo ID as proof of name change.
3. Set a deadline. Aim to get all your accounts, memberships, and paperwork into your new name/status within a month of starting.
4. Consider getting multiple copies of your decree absolute. Some organisations require your original by mail which can slow down your progress if you only have the one copy.
5. You should consider whether you want to change your name back to your maiden name or keep your married name. This is a personal choice and you have the legal right to do either.
6. If you are reverting to your former name you can use your decree absolute and birth certificates together as proof of name change. Take some photocopies of your ID under your old name before changing. Driving licenses may need to be surrendered, so it can help to have a copy should you ever need to prove your old name.