Post-divorce checklist - what to do & things to change after divorce

Originally published on 28th September 2018 at 10:20 AM
Reading time: 1 mins

amicable’s post-divorce checklist makes the post-divorce to do list a little easier by breaking down what you need to do on a life admin basis.

Tips for post-divorce practicalities;

  1. Try and do all your admin in one go…put a day aside to get all your change notifications done at once. Changes that drag out can be stressful and cause problems should you need to prove your identity.

  2. Prioritize photo ID in your new name as soon as possible. Some companies need to see updated photo ID as proof of name change.

  3. Set a deadline. Aim to get all your accounts, memberships, and paperwork into your new name/status within a month of starting.

  4. Consider getting multiple copies of your decree absolute. Some organisations require your original by mail which can slow down your progress if you only have the one copy.

  5. You should consider whether you want to change your name back to your maiden name or keep your married name. This is a personal choice and you have the legal right to do either.

  6. If you are reverting to your former name you can use your decree absolute and birth certificates together as proof of name change. Take some photocopies of your ID under your old name before changing. Driving licenses may need to be surrendered, so it can help to have a copy should you ever need to prove your old name.

How can NameSwitch help?

The average name changer notifies approximately 24 different government bodies, local authorities, and companies. Figuring out who needs what can be daunting and takes 14 hours of stop-start research, letter writing and form filling. Most name changers find this process tedious and overly complicated.

NameSwitch has an array of affordable packages to help you blitz through your change of name after divorce or separation. If you are using your decree absolute, you can opt for either the ePackage or the Print Package. If you need a deed poll based on the scenarios described in this guide, you can opt for our Deed Poll Premium Print Package.

Head to NameSwitch for further guidance on your options and help yourself to a free name change checklist to get you started.

Need some more personalised advice?

Start your amicable divorce journey

Speak to an amicable Divorce Specialist to understand your options and next steps for untying the knot, amicably.

Book a free 15-minute consultation

Comments (5)

By clicking submit you accept our privacy policy.
Thank you! Your submission has been received!
Oops! Something went wrong while submitting the form.
28.04.2021 4:00

Need a devorde a.c.a.p she's not starting the procedimg.

16.07.2021 22:22

Certificate referred to in Article 39 of Council Regulation (EC) No. 22/01/2003 of 27 November Judgment in matrimonial matters I need help with this with the certificate I can't change my surname is polish consulate coul you help me please. Thank you

amicable logo
Holly from amicable
22.07.2021 9:43

Hi Siham, please give us a call today and we should be able to help.

20.10.2021 7:27

Could you please give me a price of a simple divorce

amicable logo
Holly from amicable
20.10.2021 9:20

Hi Donna, the cost of our simple divorce is £300 plus court fees (which are £593).