Wondering how to get divorced? The process can seem daunting and complicated, but it doesn’t have to be. We’ve put together a divorce checklist with all the things you’ll need to consider for an amicable separation.
Following this simple list of practical tasks will help you to become an effective co-parent, manage your finances, and complete the right legal steps – leaving you to focus on building a positive future apart.
1. Agree where your children will live.
2. Make a plan for how and when they will see both of you. Remember to talk about special occasions: decide how to arrange Christmas, birthdays and holidays.
3. Talk about how the children’s lives will be financed and decide who will pay for what (including any school fees).
4. Sort out how and when other family members such as grandparents will see the children.
5. Discuss the rules for raising them and make sure you are both on the same page.
6. Decide whether you are keeping or selling the family home.
7. If you are keeping the home, decide which of you will live in it and who will live elsewhere.
8. Work out how you will be paying for both homes.
9. Agree how to divide up your personal property – from the car to the kettle.
10. Work out what assets, investments and savings you have and decide how to divide them.
11. Work out what debts you have (like credit card bills or overdrafts) and decide how to split those too.
12. Make a plan for how to pay for any divorce fees.
13. File your divorce petition (complete form D8).
14. Apply for a Decree Nisi (complete form D84).
15. Apply for a Decree Absolute (Complete form D36).
16. File a Consent Order if you want to make the agreements above legally binding.
17. Decide whether you want to make or change your will.
18. Tell all the necessary organisations that your marital status has changed. For example:
We hope you find this simple divorce checklist useful. For more information on how amicable can help you just contact us on 020 3004 4695.Book a free 15-minute advice call