Originally published on 28th
September 2018 at 11:20 AM
Separation can feel isolating but our divorce statistics show you’re not alone. Nearly half a million people each year in the UK face the break-up of a marriage or cohabiting relationship and half of those break-ups involve people with kids. Here are some other things you might not know about divorce and separation:
- 42% of marriages end in divorce & 50% of cohabiting parents’ relationships break-up
- Children born today have a 50/50 chance of having both parents at home by age 15
- Only 9 percent of couples who break up have a high conflict relationship – i.e. arguing a lot, a year prior to splitting – but over half cite conflict as a key feature of their divorce
- If you end up in court, the average cost of a divorce is £80,000 in London and £26,000 elsewhere
- In a recent online survey 65% of people said communication problems were a common factor leading to divorce and 43% stated an inability to resolve conflict as a critical factor
- Women were more likely to say their partner’s behaviour was the reason for divorce. 54% of divorces granted to women were due to their husband’s behaviour whereas only 38% of men mention their wife’s behaviour as the reason.
- You’re more likely to divorce if you live in Bristol than if you live in London
- Children today are more likely to have a smartphone than a father at home
Data sources: ONS, Marriage Care, Huff Post, amicable
If you, or someone you know, is facing the break-up of a relationship then amicable can help. We’re changing the way the world separates and divorces by focusing on family-friendly solutions and keeping things – well, amicable…
We offer a faster, fairer, fixed-price divorce service with a guaranteed outcome. From October 2016* you can download our app for free to help improve your communication and iron-out conflict. You’ll be able to instantly access the information you need to complete your divorce – and if you get stuck or just want to talk to someone, then our friendly and experienced divorce coaches are on hand to help.
Book a free 15 minute advice call