What is a divorce financial order guide

Originally published on 28th September 2018 at 10:19 AM
Reading time: 4 mins

A divorce financial order is a document that makes your financial agreements legally binding.

It usually has a clause that ends any future claims you may have against each other in the future. This is often referred to as a clean-break clause within a financial order. If you are divorcing amicably then your financial order will be called a consent order.

If you can’t reach an agreement, then you can ask a judge to decide your finances, resulting in financial order. A lot of people believe that just getting divorced will end any financial relationship they have – but this isn’t true. To untie yourself financially from each other, you will need a consent order or financial order.

amicable’s guide to getting a financial consent order:

There are different documents required when applying for a divorce financial order...

The consent order itself (financial remedy order)

This is the document that says what will happen to your finances. The law does not have a defined formula for dividing assets in terms of financial orders. To make fair agreements, you must think about what the courts in England & Wales take into consideration: income, earning capacity and property as well as financial needs, obligations, and responsibilities.

The starting point is a 50/50 split . But if one of you has a greater need, for example, because you are housing the children or earn a lot less, then the split may different. Your consent order may have clauses that say things will happen in the future such as selling the family home once the children have grown up for example. It usually also contains a clean break clause, ending future claims.

Statement of Financial Information (Form D81)

This document goes to the court alongside your consent order and is a snapshot of your current finances (immediately before you divorce). Even if you split up a while ago, this form documents what you have immediately prior to the divorce, not at the point of separation.

The judge needs to see what you have now, as well as what you want to happen to your finances when you divorce so they can decide whether this is fair under the law.

You will both need to disclose your current finances, including your assets, debts, pension values and income. You need to do this even if you are leaving these things as they are. If you are worried that your ex may be hiding or moving assets, you should seek legal advice.

Notice of intention to proceed with an application for a financial order (Form A)

This is an administrative form that you will need to complete in order to file your consent order. There is a lot of confusion (even amongst professionals) on how you should complete this form so it’s best to get advice if you are not sure. Book a free 15-minute call with one of our experts to talk through your personal situation.

Pension Sharing Annex (P1)

If you are sharing a pension as part of your divorce financial order, you will also need to have a pension sharing annex. This lets the pension company know what percentage of a pension is being shared. If you are leaving your pensions as-is then you won’t need to bother with this document. We have written a full guide on divorce and pensions, should you want any further information.

Clean break consent order

If you’re divorcing and have no assets to split, then you might get a clean break consent order. The primary reason couples usually get a clean break consent order is to end future claims against each other for things like pensions, inheritance or lottery wins.

How to apply for a divorce financial order?

We’ve written a detailed guide on how to apply for a financial consent order, should you wish for more information about the process. You can apply for a financial consent order yourself, however, you should seek additional help if you are not familiar with the legal process. It’s important to note, once sealed by a judge the consent order is legally binding and valid unless you apply to the court for an amendment.

If you’re unsure about how to apply for a financial order, please book a call here with a divorce expert (our 15-minute advice calls are free).

Anthony Syder
Speak to a Divorce Coach

Book a free 15-minute call with an amicable expert. Understand the process, how long it may take, how much it can cost and what your options are.

You can join the call alone or together.

Request free advice call


Do I need a financial order for my divorce?

A financial order isn’t mandatory when divorcing, but you should consider getting one – especially if you have assets or you want to prevent your ex from claiming from you in the future.

How are finances split in a divorce?

This usually depends on your personal situation. The starting point is a 50/50 split and is made legally binding through a financial order or consent order.

How long does a financial order take?

The time a financial order takes depends on whether an agreement has been made and the courts processing capacity. If there is an agreement, then the process is likely to be quicker but you should factor in the time it takes to gather the information and draft the order.

Related content:

Read More

Start your amicable divorce journey

Speak to an amicable Divorce Specialist to understand your options and next steps for untying the knot, amicably.

Book a free 15-minute consultation

Comments (6)

By clicking submit you accept our privacy policy.
Thank you! Your submission has been received!
Oops! Something went wrong while submitting the form.
Lynn Burgess
22.01.2019 1:53

My daughter has returned to Australia after same sex marriage break up. The ex has ticked Financial Order in Divorce papers. They separated 4 years ago and have no joint assets. We dont trust her ex. Can there be a catch in this for my daughter. My daughter is mentally and physically unwell and vulnerable

Mrs Rae Jones
13.08.2019 14:56

My daughter has applied for a Financial order and has filled her Form E in on assets. Her husband has not filled any paperwork in or his Form E. Can she still go to Court without his information. Thank you

10.12.2019 13:10

Needing advice on how to go about financial order / consent order.

22.01.2020 21:05

I am in the process of arranging a divorce, all the children and finances have been arranged and split, i just need a financial consent order so we cant ask for more of each other in the future once divorced

18.06.2021 19:48

Ex has been very difficult since we split up , he has been taking and hiding money to the tune of more than £25000 from his account and is refusing to fill in details about his finances ! Which i have all the bank statements to support this Where do i stand with regards moving forward , and can i force the go ahead with court proceddings with finacies ect

amicable logo
Holly from amicable
25.06.2021 13:17

Hi Aaron, I'm sorry to hear that. If you're worried that your ex is hiding assets you should seek legal advice in order to protect yourself.