Originally published on 22nd
May 2019 at 4:00 PM
Here is amicable’s pick of the most inspiring, positive and helpful quotes out there to help you through the journey of divorce and separation. Help others - share your favourite quotes in the comments below.
- Divorce isn't such a tragedy. A tragedy's staying in an unhappy marriage, teaching your children the wrong things about love. Nobody ever died of divorce. — Jennifer Weiner
- Divorce is one of the most financially traumatic things you can go through. Money spent on getting mad or getting even is money wasted. — Richard Wagner
- There are things in my life that are hard to reconcile, like divorce. Sometimes it is very difficult to make sense of how it could possible happen. Laying blame is so easy. I don't have time for hate or negativity in my life. There's no room for it. — Reese Witherspoon
- “There is no such thing as a “broken family.” Family is family, and is not determined by marriage certificates, divorce papers, and adoption documents. Families are made in the heart.” — C. Joybell C.
- ‘Of course, there are times when I think it would have been better if we had stayed married, which is always what your children want. But we have been able to solidify this friendship, so that we’re really close. We’ve made a lot of mistakes, and we’ve had good days and bad days, but I have to say, I’m proud of us for working through so much stuff together, and not blaming and shaming.’ — Gwyneth Paltrow
- “Ultimately, we all have to decide for ourselves what constitutes failure, but the world is quite eager to give you a set of criteria if you let it.’ — J.K.Rowling
- “It always gets worse before it can get better. But it will get better. Like everything else, and like our past struggles, at some point we win, but before that win, there’s always that loss that spurs us on.” — Dolores Huert
- “When people divorce, it’s always such a tragedy. At the same time, if people stay together it can be even worse.” — Monica Bellucc
- “Letting go doesn’t mean that you don’t care about someone anymore. It’s just realizing that the only person you really have control over is yourself.” — Deborah Reber
- “Only I can change my life. No one can do it for me.” — Carol Burnett
- “I learned that it would take more than just the black and white steps of getting divorced, or even finding a lawyer. It would take NOT just facing my fears. It would take walking into my fears — with each step making me bolder and less ashamed, with each step giving me courage.” — Liza Caldwell, SAS for Women
- “The good thing about getting divorced young—if there is a good thing—is that it makes you realize there’s no schedule in life. It blasts you wide open and frees you to be honest with yourself.” —Olivia Wilde
- "You cannot start the next chapter of your life if you keep re-reading the last one." — Michael McMillan
- "I don't see divorce as a failure. I see it as the end to a story. In a story, everything has an end and a beginning." — Olga Kurylenko
- “Some people believe holding on and hanging in there are signs of great strength. However, there are times when it takes much more strength to know when to let go and then do it.” — Ann Landers
- "You may not control all the events that happen to you, but you can decide not to be reduced by them." — Maya Angelou
- “When one door of happiness closes, another opens; but we look so long at the closed door that we do not see the one which has been opened for us.” – Helen Keller
- “Some people think that it’s holding on that makes one strong; sometimes it’s letting go.” – Unknown
Book a free 15 minute advice call
If you have any questions, or would like some support, please book a free 15-minute call with one of our experts here.
Find the right service for you