amicable forum


Good afternoon,
If a decision has been made to separate for a period of time rather than divorce is there a form that requires completion to acknowledge the start date of the separation in order for the marriage to be dissolved if the separation runs to the legally required timeline? Is this 2 years?
Thank you, kind regards , Sandra

timeline i.e. is this 2 years.


    Hi Sandra, thanks for your message. In regards to two years separation, you do not need to notify the court that you're planning to separate. On the divorce/dissolution petition you will be asked to state (if you're using two years separation) the date that you both agreed that the marriage/civil partnership ended. I hope this is helpful, please get in touch if you'd like anymore advice.

    what if a former partner refuses to agree the date


    Hi Gillian - if one person doesn't agree to the date then you will need to rely on one of the other grounds for divorce that the court currently offers. You can read about them here.

Reply to question

Your reply
Your name
Your email

Sending ....

Your reply has been sent.

It will be visible after verification.

Your reply did not send. Please try again later.

back to latest threads