amicable forum

House Transfer / Stamp Duty

I'm finalising the financial agreement with my wife which is (pensions aside) now agreed and subject to an open letter between solicitors. It's going to take a couple of months to firm up pension split and get a consent order.
The marital home is transferring to my wife. I am in the process of buying a new house.
My solicitor tells me that I will be liable for the higher rate of stamp duty (due to owning 2 houses) unless the marital home formally transfers to my wife before completion.
2 questions:
- Is there any way around this?
- What does 'formally transfers' actually entail, is this just having the consent order agreed or does something else need to happen?
I know that you can reclaim the higher rate if the house transfers after the completion but I would prefer to avoid it if possible.


Reply to question

Your reply
Your name
Your email

Sending ....

Your reply has been sent.

It will be visible after verification.

Your reply did not send. Please try again later.

back to latest threads